Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Listening... or not!

So, what's the deal with kids' ears?

And yes, I'm sure my parents asked themselves these same questions!

I am constantly trying to figure out why my kids don't listen to me. I ask them to do something and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Case in point. As I sit here typing, Justin is laying on the floor "playing" with our cat. I asked him 3 times to find something quiet to do until bed time. The 4th time I had to hollar. He says, "sorry." Umm, ya, I doubt that. THEN... as he's "playing" with the cat, I watch him letting the cat bite him. Now you might think, "let him! He'll learn how much it hurts!" Ahh, if only this were true. He constantly lets the cat bite him. He knows that by continually allowing this behaviour, the cat also likes to bite and attack the little boys, too. How does he know this? Oh, probably because I tell him EVERY day! So, it takes me another 3 tries tonight to get him to stop. Great listening skills.

Then there's the bathroom routine. In my house, you're expected to flush after you go. Then you are required (no choice) to put both the seat and the lid down. Then you are ABSOLUTELY required to wash your hands WITH soap & water. Hmmmm... I'd say I probably ask if all this has been done about 20 times a day (which isn't hard with 4 kids in the house!). But, what I can't figure out is why this needs to be enforced still, especially to my 9 and 10 year olds! I mean, seriously, they've been told MANY times about the germs they're harbouring when they go to the bathroom and DON'T wash their hands! And after being told so many times a day, for so many years, do you not think that they'd start to understand the importance of it all???? More great listening skills.

But you know, then I look in the mirror. And ya, this is hard. First of all, 'cause I don't like my reflection, but also because I really see that my children do learn a lot from me and my actions, don't they?!

What are some of the rules around here? How about, "only 1 hour on the computer, per child, per day." Hmmm... wonder how much time Mommy spends on it!?! Or how about, "too much junk food isn't good for you." Again, hmmm... wonder if Mommy's got any chocolate stashed anywhere for those "need it" kinda moments?!

Then there are the times when I just don't feel like listening to anyone. The other morning I was tired of the kids' and their constant bickering and fighting, so I got up and left the house. Yep, I got out of my chair, and walked out of the house, without even a pair of shoes on. When Rob asked me where the children were and what they were doing, I answered with a very honest, "in the house, and I don't know what they're doing!" He asked me if we should check on them and I said, "NO!" I just did not want to listen to it. So it gets me thinking about how much I do that when I'm actually IN the house???

How many times has Evan asked me for a drink and I've answered him with, "in a minute," over and over again?! Or what about when Noah really wants to read his book about snakes and I just keep doing what I'm doing without answering? Of course, that COULD be because I really don't enjoy reading and learning about snakes AT ALL!!!

But how much don't we listen when we're talked to? They are following quite innocently in our footsteps, I suppose. Not that this is enough of an excuse to let them off the hook all the time, but it sure makes me think that I need to re-evaluate my listening skills, too!

Some good listening skills must be in existence, though, right? Wait for it... wait for it... I'm thinking... ;-)

No comments: